There are so many options and things to consider when answering the question about what can I do this weekend? Where do you live? Do you have the money for a weekend getaway? Are you a homebody? Are you into physical activity? Do you have a hobby? Do you have kids, or pets, or both?
As parents, we find that weekends often revolve around the kids, their activities, and their friends. We make it a priority to have the groceries purchased before the weekend so that we are set to eat at home. There is always laundry to get done so a load or two may go through during a weekend. During the Spring and Summer, there will be small yard chores to take care of on weekends. But the weekends are our time to really reconnect as a family. It’s the time to play games together, make a huge bowl of popcorn and cuddle up for a movie, or take a family weekend getaway.
Weekend Get Aways
We love to play “tourist” in our own province. We are blessed to live in Alberta which gives us access to prairies, foothills, mountains, lakes, rivers, and cities. It is such a shame when people always travel to another country before they ever experience their own backyard. In the summer it can be not only more economical but fun as well to camp while travelling. There are campgrounds everywhere in Alberta. We have camped while travelling around these locations in Alberta and some are still on our list to visit.
- Drumheller- the badlands are so interesting, it is easy to imagine that dinosaurs roamed the terrain millions of years ago, and the Royal Tyrell Museum lets you get up close and learn all about dinosaurs. The hoodoos are incredible and the weather is usually hot in the summer. There are numerous campgrounds, or hotels available in the area.
- Edmonton, Red Deer, Calgary, Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, Peace River, Grande Prairie- each city offers different sights, and experiences, as well as shopping. Museums, festivals, concerts, and restaurants are there to be discovered.
- The Rocky Mountains- visit Jasper, Banff, Lake Louise or anywhere in between. The mountains offer loads of camping, hotels, and B&B’s to stay at. Go hiking, biking, whitewater rafting, bird watching, shopping, horseback riding, lounging at the hot springs, ride a gondola to the top of a mountain, take photos, just breathe in the fresh air. We love the mountains, they truly are my happy place.
- Check out the antique shops in Nanton-shop!
- Check out the various “tourist attractions” in small-town Alberta. The UFO landing pad in St. Paul, the SS Enterprise in Vulcan, the giant kielbasa in Mundare, the giant pysanka in Vegreville, the pumpkins in Smokey Lake, and the Canadian Geese in Hanna. There is so much more to discover. I love them because they are cheesy and show the whimsy of Canadians.
Start a new Hobby
A hobby can be anything that you enjoy doing. Having a hobby that you can progress in, and learn new skills with will undoubtedly increase your self-confidence. And that increased self-confidence can lead you to try and love new activities. That is a win-win.
- Horseback riding
- Interior design
- Redesigning old furniture
- Public Speaking
- Sports-basketball, pickleball, curling, volleyball, softball, etc
- Book club
- anything, and everything that you have even a slight interest in
Make Extra Money
If you need to make some extra money or you just want to have some fun funds, why not use your weekends to make extra money? There are many ways to do this. Such as:
- Deliver pizzas
- Work at a movie theatre
- Work as wait staff in a restaurant or with a catering company
- Have a garage sale
- Return your bottles and cans
- Start an online affiliate marketing website-Check out my review of Wealthy Affiliate. They will train and support you to build your own website from the ground up. It teaches you the ins and outs of affiliate marketing. It’s Awesome! It’s easy and you could do it. A Free starter membership is available for you to try.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Bill and the Other Half