Are you wondering what kind of hobbies there are out there in the big, wide world? Well, nowadays the sky is the limit. I am going to tell you about some hobbies that you might not have known about or thought about.
So…what should I do for a hobby?
The first thing to take into consideration is your interests. You have to be at least a bit curious about something before you pursue it as a hobby. You can choose something that challenges you physically, mentally, or emotionally if you are interested in personal growth. You could challenge yourself to overcome a fear. Or choose an activity that just makes you happy when you do it.
- Discover your genealogy– this can be done through websites such as ancestry.ca, or by reconnecting with family members that have done some research, or once you have learned a bit you could travel to the “old country” to research the old fashioned way ?in town halls and city records. There are many things I like about genealogy research and my favourite part is that it is unending. It can be a life long pursuit of knowledge, and I am all about that.
- Delve into a subject that fascinates you- take a class, or just read everything you can find about a certain subject. In high school, I had a Social teacher ask “Why did the Americans lose the Vietnam War?” None of us knew. But his question set me on a quest to learn all I could about the war, its impact on society, and the stories of the men and women that had to participate in it.
- Tackle a fear– if you are afraid of snakes but you handle one in a controlled situation I bet you will feel proud of yourself. You may even end up liking snakes if you learn more about them. Or if you are afraid of heights you could try a trapeze class or a climbing wall. You may fall in love with the adrenaline rush. Again you will at least feel proud of yourself.
- Work on your fitness level– this is a way to challenge yourself physically. If you have been sedentary you can start by taking a yoga or Zumba class. If you have been doing those add something new like weight lifting to your routine. Or running. Or speed walking. Or stair climbing. Being physically active will make your body and your mind healthier. It is the starting point to doing so much more.
- Learn to meditate– connect with your environment and expand your spiritual life.
- Join a Community Theatre Group– this does not mean that you have to be on stage. There are many different areas where a theatre group can use an extra set of helping hands. Learn about set design, lighting, sound, costumes, hair, and makeup. Or be an actor. You will challenge yourself to learn your lines, hit your marks, and take direction. Those are all skills that can help you in other areas of your life.
Just for Fun
- Wood work
- Learn a new language
- Wine tasting
- Become a foodie
- Pen pals
- Make Youtube videos
- Ham radio
- Make podcasts
- Dog Agility
- Vehicle Restoration
- Any sport
- Play a musical instrument
Anything you are interested in can be your hobby. How about a hobby that will make you money? My favourite hobby is wealthy affiliate. Build your very own affiliate website and make money from it. Do it part time, full time or keep it as a hobby. Its fun and easy and you don’t need to be good with computers (trust me-it has taken an hour for me to type this). Have a look at my review of Wealthy Affiliate here. There is a free starter membership to get you going and it includes 2 free websites, full training and support. Have a look at this article on “what is affiliate marketing“ it will give you more information.
Please let me know if you have any questions or comments